Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Reverence for food

Even from the childhood I had great reverence for food. I could never stand wastage of food. When I was about 15 years of age, I decided that the quantity of cooked rice I needed to eat at a time was only three heaped tablespoons. Rice was the staple food in Kerala and we ate rice for lunch and dinner. Usually there will be a heap of rice on the plate, with vegetables. I started having less rice and more vegetables. I could feel my body demanding that.

My mother was very upset in the beginning. She thought I will not get enough energy to do my studies and other works. But soon she understood there was no need to worry. I was fortunate that my parents, though they used to express their opinions, never forced them on me.

I believe that the earth provides food for every living being and it is our obligation to consume only what is needed for sustenance. Daily I cook the correct quantity that is required for the family so that there is no wastage or over eating. My mother in law and some relatives were horrified at this concept. She thought I was starving her son.

Cooking food is a sadhana for me. What we eat influence the thoughts we have. Since I wanted my children to have sattvic thoughts, I made it a point to do all the cooking myself at home. As I eat each morsel, I thank God for providing me the delicious food, and intend that a part of it goes to a person who couldn’t get a meal on the day.

I came to know that this intent really works when my mother was bedridden in my native place. She could not eat food and she was having one glass of coconut water a day for about two and a half months. Each and every meal I was having during that period, I intended that a part of it goes to my mother. My aunt who was with her later exclaimed to me that she never showed any signs of tiredness or lack of energy in spite of not eating anything. She was so astonished to hear my concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment