Thursday, September 1, 2011

Earlier signs of a child that was different

My brother was born when I was two years old. According to my mother, I never troubled her much as a child. I used to make bed for my infant brother. When he started walking, I would hold his hand and roam around. At that stage itself I started taking responsibility and would complete tasks to perfection.

My mother was a school teacher and when she left for the school in the morning, she used to give me home work. I had to write the Malayalam alphabets to whatever number of times she specified, on the floor with the chalk that was provided. Some times when I was doing this home work, my masi and family would come to visit us. I would just continue with my work till I finished, before talking to them. This was appreciated in the family circle as a sign of dedication. But in retrospect I realize that I was happy to be alone and I was a total introvert.

When I was about five years old, my brother and I got dysentery. With treatment we got better and during the recovery phase while leaving for school my mom told me that in one or two days we can have normal food. The smell of sambar that she had prepared for the lunch was spread in the house. When she went to school, I entered the kitchen and had a good helping of sambar. The taste of that potato piece is still alive in my memory. I had the firm faith that I was going to be alright. I fed some of it to my kid brother too.

Just as I had the inner feeling, I was alright and recovered fully. But my brother’s condition worsened and naturally I was blamed. As far as I can remember, that was the earliest message that I got from the heavens, ‘Go ahead and have it, nothing is going to happen.’ It also gave me the lesson that I should not be confident about the outcome in others.

--------------------------------

29 Aug 2015- Today I came across this study that sambar can prevent colon cancer..wow! 


No comments:

Post a Comment