Thursday, October 10, 2013

The butterfly’s message

Pitru Paksha  also spelt as Pitr paksha or Pitri paksha, (literally "fortnight of the ancestors") is a 16–lunar day period when Hindus pay homage to their ancestors (Pitrs), especially through food offerings. The period is also known as Pitru Pakshya, Pitri Pokkho, Sola Shraddha ("sixteen shraddhas"), Kanagat, Jitiya, Mahalaya Paksha and Apara paksha. Shraddha is the way of thanking your ancestors’ souls and paying a small tribute in exchange of whatever they did for our lives.

Last year, according to the messages I got, I did shraddha and this year also I thought I’ll do, especially since I lost my father and mom-in-law during April/May. Shraddha in 2013 was from 19th September to 4th October. Somehow it slipped from my mind.

On 3rd October when my husband and I came back home from the clinic, he noticed a butterfly sitting quietly on the potted plant in front of the door. He showed it to me. I went near the butterfly, it did not fly off. I gently touched it, thrice. It just stayed put. Then we left it and went inside the house to have lunch.Round the world, butterflies are seen as the departed souls of our ancestors.


Later, suddenly it struck me; I am supposed to do Shraddha. Oh my God, were the dates over? I immediately checked the net and to my relief, saw that October 4th was the last date.  So on the next day morning, I prepared sweets and served on leaves on the terrace. In the afternoon I went up to check and was glad to see that the offering had been accepted!

No comments:

Post a Comment