Friday, October 18, 2013

It was Bhadra kali all the way!

During childhood every Sunday morning my parents used to take us to a temple. It was a ten minutes drive to the temple, after the temple visit we would go to my paternal grand parents’ house before returning home. I used to love those trips. It was a very powerful temple. The famous Malayalam actor had a vow, that if he became successful, he would donate a baby elephant to the temple.

When he tried to do the donation, there was a hue and cry, because he was a Muslim. In the end the matter was resolved and the baby elephant was accepted in the temple. For any challenges in life, I used to call upon the Devi and I used to get solutions.

After marriage I went to North India and whenever on vacation to Kerala, my husband and I used to visit the temple. But now it was an hours’ journey since my parental house was in Trivandrum by then. In Kerala, men had to remove their shirts to enter inside temples. My husband who used to be a totally logical person, used to wait for me outside the temple, instead of taking off his shirt and coming with me inside. Then gradually, these trips came to a stop.

Over the years, slowly my husband turned spiritual (the result of staying with a totally spiritual wife for 3 decades? God only knows). He was getting interested in visiting temples along the length and breadth of India. During our visit to Kerala in April 2013, suddenly I remembered, we are going to all other temples, why not visit my childhood temple?

My husband agreed and we hired a taxi. He asked me which Devi was the idol of that temple. I was surprised that I did not know. I only remembered it was a Devi. We went straight to the temple. There was not too much crowd and we got to sit there and meditate. Devi asked me, ‘Coming after so many years?’


Then I noticed, it was a Bhadra Kali temple. Wow! That made sense. I used to get messages from Kali ma to do Havans, to prepare dishes etc., so it was Bhadra Kali all the way……



When we reached back home, I asked my father whether he knew which Devi was there in the temple. Even he didn’t know! Then I updated his knowledge and gave him the prasadam.

No comments:

Post a Comment