Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Ancestors’ blessings in Myanmar


When we started our trip to Myanmar, I knew that the pitru paksha dates would fall in between. Every year I pray for my ancestors and make sweets to offer if I am at home. On 21st September 2019 when my husband told that the first place we would visit that day was Nat Taung Kyaung monastery (Bagan, Myanmar), where spirits are worshipped, I decided to offer my prayers to ancestors there.

When we reached Nat Taung Kyaung, we were enthralled by its beauty. 

Built in 18th century, this wooden monastery is still standing today. It is located in a secluded clearing amidst a wide variety of trees and vegetation. It is probably the region's oldest, as well as its finest, wooden monastery. The Nat Taung complex actually contains two monasteries, numerous pyatthats (multistage roof, with an odd number of tiers), pavilions, rest houses and ancillary buildings. It has the finest of wood carvings. 




I did namaskar, touching my forehead on the ground and prayed for the harmony with ancestors. 

My daughter was just doing circumambulation, with the thought in her mind, ‘This is enough no? Should I also touch my forehead down?’ Then she noticed the sign of a Trishul on the otherwise straight  carpet, which was the indication for her.


I requested for a definite sign to let me know that prayers have been well accepted. After the sightseeing we had our lunch and decided to go to the room and take some rest. Then it started to rain heavily, and we had a nice nap.

In the evening we saw the sky was clear after the rains, so decided to go to some nearby place to watch sunset. While just driving around we noticed a building like a watch tower. It was the Nann Myint viewing tower of Bagan.  It was just a matter of chance we came across this, the driver didn't know about it and we had not read about it in any reviews.  

We went in and had an awesome view of pagodas all around and a spectacular sunset. 




Yes, I got my proof for the acceptance of our prayers.

References:
https://www.orientalarchitecture.com/sid/526/myanmar/bagan/nat-taung-kyaung-monastery

No comments:

Post a Comment